Sunday, August 23, 2009

Going to the Chapel


It was always assumed that we’d have a Greek Orthodox wedding.  Sometimes I’m sad that all of our family and friends won’t hear us say vows or sing hymns, but I’ve made peace with it.  It’s a special way to honor George and his heritage, and God is everywhere!


As far as I know, St. George once slayed a dragon. This is a bit confusing to me, as I don't think the Greeks had many dragons, but it sounds good. Either way, St. George performed enough miracles to have a Greek Orthodox church in Hamilton, NJ named for him.


Why does this matter? It's where George and I will get married next year. My George has never slayed a dragon, though I'm sure he could if the opportunity presented itself.


If you've never been in a Greek Orthodox church, they're beautiful. They're a teensy bit like Hogwarts, insofar as the ceiling is painted to look heavenly. Always ornate, and full of icons (pictures of saints), there's a lot going on. This makes my life a little easier, since I don't have to worry much about the ceremony looking boring!


Here's where all the magic happens (okay, maybe that's not the best choice of phrase). Anyway, I'll share more details about the ritual itself in a future post!






1 comment:

  1. Church pics are beautiful! I want to see high school prom pics on this blog ;)

    ReplyDelete