Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lazy Night Peach Cobbler



I love summer fruit.  I love butter.  I sure as heck love fresh whipped cream with a little vanilla.

I'm also lazy, especially on weeknights, after work, after dinner, after dishes...you get the picture.  (OK, George usually helps with the dishes.  Still, I'm not up for complex recipes after 8pm.)

When you're feeling lazy, do you want to worry about exact measurements?  Me neither, even while baking.  So I came up with this peach cobbler recipe the other night to fulfill my sweet craving and desire to play domestic goddess but still not use too much energy.  I emailed myself the recipe as I went...clearly, even using capitalization was too much work!

For what it's worth, I've done this with blueberries too (adding some cake spice to the biscuit dough) and it worked beautifully; any pie- or cobbler-friendly fruit would do!

Lazy Night Peach Cobbler
serves 5-6...I used two ramekins and a small dish, a generous 3 ramekins' worth

preheat oven to 425F

slice and dice two peaches, barely boiled (just enough to skin)
squeeze half a lemon, mix with a sprinkling of sugar, a scant teaspoon of flour, and a good shake or two of warm spices
stir stir stir, mix in peaches
distribute into ramekins

melt fourish tablespoons of butter, mix with scant 1/3 cup milk and one egg
stir stir stir
in separate bowl, mix scant cup flour, fewer than twoish teaspoons of baking powder, heaping 1/4 cup of sugar
stir stir stir
plop on top of peaches
sprinkle with sparkling sugar if you have it

bake at 425 for tennish minutes, then lower heat to 375 and leave in for another five minutes or so, until golden, puffy and delicious.  you'll probably want to put a foil-lined tray on the lower rack to catch any juicy bubblings-over.

let cool for just long enough to whip some cream with a sprinkling of sugar and a splash of vanilla


2 comments:

  1. this looks absolutely amazing! I'm going to have to try this... once I get ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need for ramekins, Em; just dump it all into one dish and bake it for a minute longer!

    ReplyDelete