Sunday, March 14, 2010

The wedding-planning devil

We've all heard it before...the devil's in the details.  I can think of no truer example than wedding planning!

A week ago, you may have heard me say something like the following:
Oh, the planning is great!  It was sticky there a while back, but now everything is done, it's just the fun little details we get to play with.  It's so much fun!  I love this part.

What should I have been saying?
Oh, sure, we got the big pieces taken care of, and now I'm at the eye of the storm.  In a minute, though, I'm going to become completely overwhelmed by my own desire to DIY a thousand extra details that I never really wanted, convince myself that they're essential, and start giving myself bridal panic attacks because there aren't enough weekends in the world to accomplish all these little projects.  Oh, and I'll start freaking out about the seating chart, too.  That part's a beast.

It's true, all the essential pieces are all set.  I just have to remember my early planning mantra, "it's about the marriage, not the wedding."  And the classic, "if he shows up, and I show up, and someone's there to do the ceremony, the rest is gravy."  Riiiiiight...foolish just-engaged me, how little you knew.

What's left to do, you ask?
  • creating my brilliantly simple centerpieces
  • figuring out sashes for the girls
  • finding shoes for myself
  • getting a suit for George
  • hiring an organist for the ceremony
  • the second piece of George's wedding present
  • tying down the liquor list
  • choosing the cake flavors (ok, that one's fun)
  • seating chart!!!
Oh...and finishing the invitations to put them in the mail.  Tomorrow.  Three weeks later than my original deadline for myself, and even more frustrating since I know a few folks didn't get their rain-smeared save-the-dates.  (Mom, I'm thinking of you.)

Seems like I might have to stop writing for a minute and start stuffing envelopes...

No comments:

Post a Comment